Thursday, February 3, 2011

...sweet land of liberty...

I don’t really know anything about Ethiopia. I know that a former leader was a guy named Haile Selassie (as a kid, I thought the name sounded cool). I know the capitol is Addis Ababa (again, cool sounding). I remember the chilling photos of starving Ethiopian children. That is about it.

On a recent recruiting trip to Washington, D.C., I had the pleasure of interviewing two candidates who were originally from Ethiopia. They may have been the first Ethiopian-types I had ever met. Impressive, professional people. In fact, they were related. Interesting, I thought. What are the odds? On one trip, I meet two people from this country in the horn of Africa.

On my trip to the airport, my taxi driver was from – wanna guess? Yes, he was from Ethiopia. Crazy luck, right??

It was dark. It was cold. It was early morning. But, he didn’t know it, evidently. He was full of smiles. He wanted to chat. If you know me, you know I am not a “chat with strangers” guy.

Honestly, in the beginning, I wanted to just doze on my way to the airport. Dulles isn’t nearby and I knew I could take a quick nap. I wanted him to leave me alone, plain and simple. Just as I am not a chat up the stranger-type, neither am I a “be rude to the chatting person,” either. What was I going to do? I smiled. I mumbled responses, in the appropriate pauses. I wondered if he heard me snoring, then he would just sit quietly. He kept talking. Quickly, he began talking about our freedom. He grew excited when he talked about our “wonderful” system of government. He smiled and laughed, while talking about the greatness of our country, the people, and unbelievable blessings we have.

His early morning enthusiasm for the U.S. made me realize that I am blessed to have been an American, since birth. The driver kept talking. Before long, I was smiling and laughing, as well. I was agreeing that this is a great country. We have great people. And, thank God, we are blessed. For over five decades, I have enjoyed the benefit of living in the greatest country in the world. I am sorry if that is politically incorrect. C’mon, you know it is true. People want to come here to be educated. People want to come here to work. Think about it ---- people risk their lives to come here for less than favorable living conditions and a poverty-level job. Why?Because the US is a great place. And, opportunities abound.

It IS a great place. I should have a better attitude, just naturally. But, nope. It doesn’t work that way. I had to be reminded. It took a delightful man driving a taxi to help me have a better attitude about my home. I suppose that is natural. Maybe our own eyes become a bit cloudy, and it takes seeing the “old place” through fresh eyes.

I just hope that it doesn’t have to happen, often.

No comments:

Post a Comment