Monday, October 24, 2011

A flooding we will go

The last few weeks have been busy. That is why there has been little posting, here.

Last week, Debbie and I went to Phnom Penh to take care of some business and pick up needed supplies. We were to be gone for 4 days. That is significant when I tell you that my sweet Debbie packed everything in her backpack. Yes, that is right. She packed for a four-day trip in one small back pack.
Who’d thought it?

The trip began with a ferry ride from our village, Tvang (twahng). The ferry actually came to the ship and picked us up. It took us about two hours to get to the Siem Reap dock. We experienced a good rain shower, followed by bright sunshine. I have often been reminded of the scene from Forrest Gump where the rain is pouring one minute, then is just stops and the sun is shining. That is NOT just in the movies.

Once we arrived at the dock, we got a tuk-tuk to take us into the city. As you may have seen on the news, we are experiencing great flooding in much of Southeast Asia. Well, we don’t really notice it on the boat. On the road to Siem Reap, IT IS NOTICED. I should have known something was up when there was an extra guy with the tuk-tuk driver. He was there to help push us through the big potholes which were covered by the flooding.


The streets of Siem Reap were flooded, as well. We had lunch in a restaurant on one of the main streets. It was more like sitting at a riverside restaurant.
From Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, we took a limousine bus. It was a nice air-conditioned bus with comfortable seats. They even showed a couple of American movies. The volume was too low to hear, consistently – but it is the thought that counts. It was a nice way to see the countryside, and more of the flooding.

There was a very nice attendant on our six-hour trip. She provided us a bottle of water and small snack box. It was better than flying on a U.S. commercial airline (apologies to employees of U.S. carries, sort of)!! We slept, read, chatted, and watched the scenery.

Once we arrived in Phnom Penh, we were busy finding and buying supplies. Buying is the easy part. Finding can be an ordeal. There really isn’t anything such as one-stop shopping. To buy one part, such as glow plugs for the engine, requires going to multiple shops asking if they have the part. Often, the guy will take the sample and leave. I assume he is going to other shops or his supplier. After a while, he returns and says he does not have it. The phrase “hurry up and wait” has taken on a whole new meaning.

In addition to extending our visas for a year, I had to get my Cambodian driver license. For the life of me, I cannot see the need. It doesn’t appear there is any quality control on the issuing of licenses. They took my California license, a photocopy of my passport and visa, 3 passport photos, and $71. The next day, I had my temporary license. Now, I am a licensed driver in the Kingdom of Cambodia. I am authorized to drive on the wrong side of the road to pass anyone (even into oncoming traffic), honk my horn at will, turn left or right from any lane, go straight from a turn lane, and disregard traffic lights. It may not be safe to be on the roads, when I return to the U.S.

Our trip home was a simple reverse of the beginning. The only difference was our “”find” in Siem Reap. I have been searching for our Siem Reap hotel home. You know the place we will call home, when we are in town. I have tried a few. Now, I have found the Angkor Pearl Hotel. It is a few blocks from the main drag, but it is a keeper. The rooms are a nice size and clean, free Wi-Fi, breakfast included, good air conditioning, the staff are unbelievably helpful, AND it is $22 per night, tax included! In California, I was spending three times that amount on a tank of gas!!!

Oh, and one other difference from our trip to Phnom Penh -- instead of two backpacks, we now had boxes, bags, and a mop!

We are home, now, in a new village for the week. I am eager to see what adventures this week will hold.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! Glad you are enjoying your adventures... God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the new adventures of, 'Indiana Jones and the River Nile'.
    Love you both,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete