Sunday, December 18, 2011

Do I have the vision?

A few weeks ago, we were scheduled to travel to Singapore. There was a QS World MBA Tour event, and I was going to represent Pepperdine’s Graziadio School. I also was scheduled to participate in a doctoral dissertation defense.

As the dissertation defense was on a Wednesday night prior to our Saturday Singapore departure, I went ahead to Siem Reap, leaving Debbie on the ship. On Thursday, I was having a late lunch at The Soup Dragon (great fresh spring rolls and Vietnamese 
pancakes!). The phone rang – it was Deb. She told me that there was a patient who had cataracts. She was unable to see out of one eye and the other was not good. Knowing that we have referred cataract patients to hospitals and assisted with expenses, Debbie asked what we could do. I told her that I could see the Siem Reap Referral Hospital from my lunch spot and that I would walk over to see what could be arranged.


After a bit of wandering on the hospital grounds, I found the administration office. I shared my needs with the only English-speaking lady --- or possibly the only lady that would speak English to me. She told me that patients were treated Monday through Saturday. If the patient was there by 8 a.m., English-speaking administration lady told me she would be treated. I called Debbie with the good news. Since Debbie was going to meet me on Friday, she could bring the patient with her. Debbie and Piseth made all of the arrangements, prepared the paperwork that would be needed, and told her to return to the ship, the next day.

On Friday, Debbie, the patient, and her 12-year old daughter set out on a ferry. The patient is 45 years old. She had never left her small boat village. Obviously, she was frightened. She couldn’t see what was going on, and she was hearing all new sounds. I met them at Chong Kneas and we rode in the tuk-tuk back to Siem Reap. Because of the flooding, the road was HORRIBLE. The lady sat stone-faced through it all – bouncing road, motos and tuk-tuks honking, and traffic noise. All of this was brand new, to her.

At last, we arrived at the referral hospital. We were in the final stretch. Debbie and I were so excited that we were going to be a part of this lady regaining her sight. As we were getting her admitted, I was told they did not do surgery on Saturday. I went from the height of elation to the pit of despair. Luckily, we were speaking in English, so Chen had no idea what was going on – unless she was picking up on the “stretched” tone of my voice. After a trek across the campus, I found that the entire ophthalmology staff was out in the province doing surgeries. I was relatively calm on the outside. Suffice it to say, the inside did not match the outside. I continued to ask questions. Finally, I was informed they would be gone for a week! Now, the outside was beginning to match the inside.

Since we were leaving for Singapore, I was at a loss. Debbie asked if they could stay at the hospital overnight. We were told yes. I knew the ferry would not leave until 3:30 p.m. So, we arranged for our usual tuk-tuk driver to pick her up at 2 p.m., and take her to Chong Kneas. We gave her more money for food, as well as money to take the ferry again, in a week. We left her, and wondered how it would all work out. I dreaded sharing the news of our failure with Piseth.

We were certain she would never return, on her own. She had been so scared. She would have no help, other than her daughter. She had money in her pocket, now. I could not believe it would not be spent on cigarettes, or essentials.

This past week, we asked our Captain to contact the Chief of her village. The village chief spoke to her daughter and learned that she had gone back to Siem Reap. She had the surgery. We were amazed. We don’t know any of the details on her recovery. She is supposed to return for a check-up, very soon. I don’t know if she will go, or not. But, she had the surgery!

I imagine her once again enjoying the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, on the Tonle Sap Lake. I think about her watching the many fishing boats coming and going. I know she will have the joy of seeing her 12-year old daughter growing into adulthood.

God answered our prayers and took good care of Sem Chen. I am so happy. I am so blessed. Now, I just need to work on my spiritual vision. God had it covered all along. I just couldn't see it. It seems, I don't see so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment