Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I have some serious thinking to do!


   Recently, Debbie and I were traveling. While we were away, we met many wonderful people. Most of them were shop owners, waitresses, waiters, hotel staff, etc. They were kind and open. They seemed genuinely interested to talk with us. Here, people in the service industry often want to speak English with native speakers. So, you can’t always tell the motive of someone who approaches you. I think many of those we encountered were “people persons.”

   We would share where we were from and ask them the same. We might talk about family. Inevitably, it would come up that we live in Southeast Asia. This would spark some interest. They always wanted to know our work. I am always happy to talk about the work.

   Sadly, I never spoke to any of them about Jesus. I never asked them about their spiritual journey. I never questioned them about their needs. I didn’t even realize it, until I returned home. I guess I was on a spiritual vacation. It wasn’t that I desperately wanted to share, but didn’t. No, it was worse. It didn’t come to mind.

   I sit here, disappointed. What happened to me? I prayed before my meals. I was even reading a book about how to be a better servant. Yet, I didn’t share the name of the one who gives me life.

   This time I realized what I had forgotten. Has this happened before, but I never realized it. If I am sincerely interested in the cause of Christ and the sharing of the Gospel, the message of Jesus should never get lost in the shuffle.

   If I am this disappointed with myself, how disappointed must God be. Wow, I have some serious thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment