Friday, June 3, 2011

Getting back to normal

We have been home for almost one week. I have done a great deal of contemplating, when not trying to overcome the jet lag. Ambien and I have fared fairly well, thank you. My time is getting back to normal.

I have also tried to readjust to the non-humid, cool weather we are having in Southern California. I actually told Debbie that I was cold, as we stood outside LAX. I guess, after a month, you do begin to get accustomed to the heat and humidity. The years of training, during my pre-California years, must have really kicked in. Today, I am not too cold. My temp is getting back to normal.

There has been an odd culture clash, as I return to my day-to-day American lifestyle. I have watched some television, but it has been hard to really get excited about it. You have to understand, I have always been a television junkie. I even missed the first NBA Finals game - by choice! {for full transparency, I should add that this wouldn't have happened had the Celtics been playing} I have a reasonably free weekend. I am sure I will reduce the number of shows on the DVR, and watch a few new ones, too. My TV viewing will get back to normal.

Through it all, I find myself wondering what is going on with the ship. I want to know how the guys are doing with their Bible and grammar study. I think about all of the smiling Khmer faces I am missing. I still question how they can be so happy - so content. I look at the excess around my house, and want to know just how long it will take me to get back to thinking it is not enough. Back in April, my cousin described the American culture as one of "wanting more." I readily agreed. But, even then, I didn't really get it. Now, I understand better. I am certain he is right. I have seen a different culture. The Cambodian villager culture might be best described as one of "wanting enough." They want a roof over their head. They want rice in their bowl. They want what is essential. They don't kid themselves into thinking they will have more. So, they are content.

Content. What a daunting word. Can I say that I am TRULY content with what I have? Maybe there are some parts of the old culture that I shouldn't work on regaining. Maybe I need to find a new "normal."

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of some research I read recently that indicated there was a tremendous "happiness" difference between those who are starving and who have the basic necessiities of food and shelter. However, there was almost no difference in self-reported perceptions of "happiness" between those who were "rich" and "poor" who both had their basic needs met. Clearly our "stuff" doesn't provide much lasting value.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete