Monday, May 30, 2011

The best and the worst of Cambodia

It was our last day in Cambodia. We decided to spend some time doing touristy stuff. There is much to to see, in the exciting, vibrant capitol city of Phnom Penh.

BLOOM CAFE- Some of the Seaver students, who had studied in Shanghai, told me about Bloom Cafe. I decided we must experience the quality baked goods and commitment to serve others. You see, Bloom Cafe is the creation of Ruth and Murray Larwill. After Ruth had spent years providing vocational training in Nepal and Cambodia, she, her husband, and children moved from Brisbane to Phnom Penh. In PP, they established the first Bloom Training Centre. It is a place where young girls, coming out of sex trafficking, can learn hospitality and cake decorating, waiting on customers, running a cash register, etc.

The facility is gorgeous. Inside a beautiful villa, on St. 222, there is a wonderfully quiet seating area, filled with attractive furniture and delightful baked creations. The cupcakes were extraordinary. Undoubtedly, they are the best I have ever had. Crumbs, Sprinkles, et al, have nothing on these girls! Best of all, we know that we are helping young women begin life anew.

A bake shop is changing the face of Cambodia.

Bloom Cafe


Debbie having coffee

our treats







You can learn more about this special place at http://www.bloomasia.org/.


THE NATIONAL GENOCIDE MUSEUM- In the afternoon, we decided to visit the National Genocide Museum. It is located in the former school which the Khmer Rouge chose to use as its prison and torture site. The atrocities conducted here were unbelievable. Men, women, old, and young. They all went through the prison. Tortured for what the knew, or for what they were thought to know.

The prison has been left much as the Khmer Rouge left it. Bars remain on the windows. Barbed wire is still stretched across front of the classroom buildings. Torture beds are still in a few of the rooms. Bricked cells and chains in the floor remain.

The telling part of the museum are the photographs. No, not the graphic ones depicting torture and death. The alarming photos are those taken by the Khmer Rouge to document those who came through the prison. Blank stares and numbers safety-pinned to clothing are repeated over and over. Room after room contains stands of photos. For me, the eyes scream out. The demand my attention. In some bizarre tribute, I feel that I must look at each one - straight in the eyes. I somehow owe it to them. The purpose of the museum is to serve as a caution against this ever happening in Cambodia, or elsewhere. I hope its purpose is realized. Oh, please God, let it be so.







If you have not read the history of the Khmer Rouge, I suggest you read First They Killed My Father or When Broken Glass Floats.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul! I would like to say that our lives are voyages of discovery. And I am so lucky to have the access to your blog because you opened a "new world" for me through "a Pinkley World View". It is inspirational! Appreciated very much!
    --Yanan Sui

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself so curious about each part of the world to which I'm able to travel. To more fully understand the Khmer Rouge, Nazi Germany, Mussolini's Italy, Napoleon's France, and our own revolution stir deeper connections to my fellow human beings.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete