Monday, January 16, 2012

It was a dark and dreary morning

Since the beginning of 2012, we have been working along the Tonle Sap River, in the Kandal Province. This is the first time the ship has visited these villages. In the past, we have only worked the Mekong River. The people are eager to see the doctor and dentist!


In Koh Chin, the patients arrived early, to make sure they received a number. One night, they began arriving at 1 a.m. The next night, it was 7 p.m. And, remember, we don’t give out numbers until 8 a.m.
In Kampong Luong, there were nearly 100 people lined up, each morning, at 6 a.m.

Now, we have arrived at Ponhea Leu. We have seen over 150 patients, each day, on Monday and Tuesday. There have been nearly 100, by 6 a.m. Today, they were met with a sprinkling of rain.

This morning, when the alarm went off at 5:30, all I could think about was staying in bed and sleeping for a while. I didn’t really want to get up and take Reggie for a walk. I was tired! I deserved a few more “well-earned” minutes of sleep! Then, I looked out the window and saw the people huddled in the darkness – the damp darkness.

I got up.

No comments:

Post a Comment