Friday, January 27, 2012

What is in your cup?


WARNING: Contents are hot, and considered politically incorrect to many. Consume at your own risk.

We often think we can’t live without that morning cup of Joe. Or, the mid-morning coffee to push us through the a.m. slump. A great fast lunch could be a mocha-frappe-soy-latte-no whip, with two Splendas. A nice iced coffee is guaranteed to make it over the afternoon hump. And, what dinner is complete without a nice flavored decaf?

Coffee has become an integral part of our life. Many would give Starbucks the credit [blame] for that. Maybe, rightfully so. For many people, there is definitely a loving relationship with the green girl on the white cup. I know people who judge a city by the number and/or convenient locations of the Pacific Northwest coffee vendor. Even though I don’t particularly care the taste of Starbuck’s coffee, I have to admit I get a little excited when I see the easily identifiable bold green lettering, while I am abroad. I even go in and buy a cup, for the familiar experience. It is a piece of home.


Now, Starbucks is seeking to influence our lives even further. According to D.C.’s Family Research Council, Starbuck’s is stepping into the gay marriage fray with even great boldness. The company’s own EVP Kalen Holmes said, Washington State’s bill to legalize gay marriage, "is core to who we are and what we value as a company." In late 2011, S’bucks signed a legal brief that stated traditional marriage is not good for business.

I appreciate Holmes’ dedication to treating people with respect. I don’t argue with that. I think respect is a core value of a civilized society. Dare I say - a Christian society. I believe S’bucks has the right to believe what they want. I also have the right to believe what I want, as well as buy my coffee and tea where I want. And I believe others have the right to know more about the company that keeps them awake and alert, each day.

No, I am not taking my activist training from the Westboro Baptist Church. I just want folks to know. Starbucks has become ingrained in our culture, but now it has begun to eat away at our culture like a cancer. I, for one, don’t like that.

Maybe instead of coffee, I should use the Word of God to keep myself awake and alert. Just maybe, it is things like this that allow me to sliiiiiiide away from my core beliefs and find myself shoulder-to-shoulder with Satan.

I have to ask the question, “What is in my cup?”

I could be getting more than I bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment