Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The answer is right in front of "her"

Last week, a 63-year old patient came onboard. She was seeking treatment for an ulcer on her right breast. Our doctor was certain the wound was from cancer. He told her that we would refer her to a hospital, in Phnom Penh, for further evaluation. She told him that she had been to all of the hospitals and they all wanted money for her needed surgery. We suggested that she come back later in the afternoon, to learn what we would recommend.

The doctor came to me, to talk about her options. I consulted with our visiting nurses. They still had funds, from their home congregation, that could be used to help the people. They were willing to help. I contacted the administrator at the Sihanouk Hospital Center for Hope. She agreed on an arrangement similar to previous ones. They would discount their bill and we would pay a small portion of the cost.


The patient went to the hospital for the initial consultation. The surgeon indicated surgery was likely, but wanted her to return for more tests. She did not return. Yesterday, she came to the boat to thank us for our help, and to let us know that she had decided against the surgery. I was shocked. I wondered how painful it must be to have the cancer literally eating away at your breast - to the point that there was a large, open wound. I wondered how embarrassed she must be - she tapes plastic over her breast, so that the smell of the rotting flesh isn't too noticeable.

First, she told us that she couldn't afford the surgery. I reminded her that U.S. Christians and the Center of Hope would cover the cost. Then, she said that she didn't think she would be able to properly care for the surgery site, herself. There is only she and her husband, and she worried about infection. All the while, all I could think about was, "You can lead a horse to water...."

After she left the ship, I got over my shock. A bit of anger began to set in. Maybe you feel it, too, as you read this. This lady has a life threatening illness. There is probably nothing that can be done to save her from cancer, but her life could be less painful. Possibly, her life could be extended, a bit. We did our best to remove every obstacle, but she kept hiding behind excuses. I don't want to sound hard-hearted. I understand she is scared. Wow, I would be, as well. But she has heard from every hospital in Phnom Penh that she needs surgery. We offered to provide it for her, free of charge. Yet, she chooses to do otherwise.

Certainly, we would never be so short-sighted, so foolish. We would not turn a deaf ear to many telling us that we can have help. We would never let a debilitating disease fester and grow inside us, while there is promise of life right in front of us. We would NEVER turn our back on something that could save us from a life of pain and agony. We wouldn't be so foolish as to choose an eternity of darkness, when we could have light. We wouldn't do that, would we? Would we??

Lord, help me to open my eyes. Help me to see what you have done, and will continue to do for me. May I never take for granted the sacrifice made for me. Give me the courage to take the blessing of life that you offer.

"I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest." John 10:10

1 comment:

  1. This is so touching, while reading it, I lost control of myself to go further, what a life!!! Sometimes, it's not so easy to put ourselves in other circumstances, and I believe that there's some behind perception of this story as well. Wish her luck anyway

    ReplyDelete