Thursday, October 11, 2012

He doesn't really need my help making the rules


I have learned so much about God and His plan for us, over the last year.  Supposedly, I was teaching others.  But, God was teaching me, through them.

One of our crew members has been asking many questions about baptism. His questions started with the mechanics of the act.  You know, who does it, how is it done, is it done on a day other than Sunday, etc. 

  These were all such “basic” questions. I explained that it was not difficult. I shared Biblical accounts of those who were baptized. More questions came up. I wanted them to see that the key is water, immersion, and a cleansed heart. As we talked and I answered other questions, I realized there was a great truth hiding in the simple answers: There are some things that are so important that God did not establish unreasonable or high barriers.


You don’t need a trained professional to baptize you.  Baptism is too important to your eternity. You only need someone who can immerse you and bring you up.

The water of baptism does not have to come from a special place or be in a special container. Baptism is too important to your eternity. You only need water, and that is readily available most places.

You don’t have to wait for a certain day, because it is a special day. Baptism is too important to your eternity. You need to be baptized when you know that it is your path to salvation and the family of God.

Maybe, as humans, we think we make baptism even more special by creating special surroundings. The problem with that is that it just is not “good Bible teaching.” God did not think all of those things were important. What is important is that we have a tender and open heart, ready to surrender to his will.
This seems so obvious to me, NOW. I had never really thought of it before. 

I wonder how many other things I have been “beefing up” for God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment