Sunday, August 26, 2012

I Want to See


God knows what I need to hear.  Usually, He isn’t very subtle – but, that is just because I can be a bit dense.  Often, he shows me something and I do not get the importance.  So, he shows me again.  And, finally, He drives me to the Word to say, “This is what I have been showing you!”

Over the last few weeks, we have been seeing many patients with cataracts.  Some of the cataracts are quite severe.  We let the patients know that the Ship of Life will assist them with the expense of traveling to the hospital.  The hospitals have been providing the surgery at no cost to the patient (thanks to the Fred Hollows Foundation and the Ministry of Health).  What a great deal!  All they have to invest is time, and they will regain their vision.  The years of not seeing clearly will be over.
Many of the villagers gladly accept the offer.  In fact, not long ago, we sent groups of 16 and 18 people for surgery.  Today, nearly 30 people have had surgery and are seeing clearly.


But, there are some villagers who tell us, “NO.”  There are many reasons.  Some say they are busy.  Some say they are worried it will cost money.  Most are just plain afraid.  Sight is in reach, but they will not accept the offer, due to fear.  Fear of the unknown, maybe.  Or, fear of pain.  Possibly, they fear change from what they have grown accustomed.

This past Sunday night, we continued our study of the miracles of Jesus.  God knew I wasn’t really getting the message, so he led me to Mark 10 and the story of Bartimaeus.   {No, I didn’t call him “Blind Bartimaeus” as many do.  I decided I don’t want to be called “Fat Paul,” so he is just Bartimaeus to me!}

We discussed the faith of Bartimaeus and how he went to Jesus.  His faith caused him to “make a scene” and throw away what was his only possession.  He wanted to go to the Messiah.  When Jesus asked what he wanted, his response was simple.  “I want to see.”  We could study his answer for a long, long time.  There is great depth of meaning in those four small words. He wanted what only Jesus could give him and he boldly went after it.  Then, he followed his Lord.

Not many verses prior to this passage, we read about a rich young man whose face fell and he went away sad.  He wasn’t willing to give it all up.  He didn’t want to see. 

Ahhh.  There it was.  It was what God had been trying to teach me.  I get frustrated with the villagers who say no.  I really want to shake them.  Maybe, they just need tough love.  I should force them to go!  Surely, they will be glad, in the end.  But, I wonder.  Can we really MAKE someone do something that is good for them?  Will they ever fully appreciate it?  Why won’t they just go??

The bigger question is why we are hesitant to see.  Why is it so hard to give what earthly baubles we have collected, and seek the sight – the vision that we can find in Jesus.

I encourage you to look at Mark 10.  Don’t just remember the passage.  Actually, read it! Read about the rich young man.  Read about Bartimaeus. What do you think?

Jesus, son of David, I want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment