Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Of Rocks and Zombies

Over the holidays, I was reading a great book, Zombiestan, by Mainak Dhar.  Yes, it is a zombie story that begins with a virus in Afghanistan.  You see, I like zombies.

Okay, it’s out there.  I like zombie movies. I like zombie television series.   I like zombie books. Throw rocks if you will, but be sure to aim for my head.  If you know zombies, you know why. 


Anyway, I diverge.  There was a great passage in the book.  As the eclectic group of survivors (as is always the case in the zombie genre) seek to get away from the walking dead, a hardened soldier states, “I’ve learnt that being a man boils down to one simple thing – watching out for the guy next to you.”

That is a great philosophy; a great truth! A Biblical one, at that!

Isn't that what our Lord was saying in Matthew 22 when he was asked about the greatest commandment? After answering, he followed with the second greatest commandment, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Later (John 13), Jesus furthered the thought when he shared with his disciples, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  And wasn't Jesus talking to us, too, when he questioned Peter’s love, in John 21*? He asked Peter if he loved Him. Peter responded affirmatively, and Jesus told him, “Feed my sheep.”

That is pretty plain talk:  Love and take care of your neighbor as you would take care of yourself and your family. Just because a zombie fighter says it – that doesn't make it any less true. Just because the U.S. military espouses the philosophy – that doesn't mean we shouldn't all practice it.

We ought to be on the lookout for those around us. Not just our family. Not just our fellow Christians. We need to be watching out for the guy next to us – on the bus, the train, on the freeway, in the next classroom, in the next cubicle, wherever we find ourselves.

WE OUGHT TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THOSE AROUND US.

It is our duty as His children. It is how we begin to repay the huge debt we owe – a debt we can never repay. We do His work, here on earth.

Oh, and by the way. Don’t throw rocks.

*I recognize there were other things going on in this conversation. Things for another blog post, in another time. For now, let’s focus on Jesus’ request.

No comments:

Post a Comment