Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It Started in January


It was the beginning of January. We met her in Koh Chen.  She lived in the nearby village of Prek Kdam.  I met her cousin, first.  He was a very nice young man who was interested in improving his English.  He and many friends came to the ship, each night.  They just wanted to talk – or, rather, they wanted to hear me talk.

One day, while we were out walking Reggie, we saw her cousin.  We were standing across the road from his house.  His family was working.  They do beautiful carving in brass.  She walked up with a huge smile on her face.  She wanted to meet the “barangs” from the big ship.  She was introduced to us.  I had already met her younger sister. They showed us the beautiful handicrafts they make.


That week we spent more time with her.  She visited the ship with her grandmother and aunt.  She saw the doctor, too.  She wanted to talk more.  We talked to her about the reason we came – to share the love of Jesus.  She had heard of Him, but really knew nothing.  Debbie started to study with her.  Even after we left the village, they continued to study via email.  

When possible, we visited Prek Kdam. If we were going to be in Phnom Penh, we would bring her down and spend a couple of days.  We learned about each other’s culture.  Most importantly, She learned about a supreme God who made this world for us to enjoy. She learned about His great love for His people. She studied and studied.  She was like a sponge.  She soaked up every detail, and understood. She learned of Jesus.  Now, her heart was genuinely touched.

In mid-June she began to talk about being baptized.  We wanted to make sure She was doing this for herself, and not because we expected it.  We didn’t know for certain how her family would receive the news. We encouraged her to spend the time thinking about her commitment.

Debbie and I had been in Siem Reap for a few days, checking in with the Provincial Health Department.  While there, I received an email saying,

“This is my answer. I did alot of thinking about that. I decided to baptize without hesitate. I am not hesitate to be a christian. I love God with my heart; my soul; and my mind. I have seen God's love to me. I don't know how much he love? I don't know what is he planing for me? I just know that he wants the best for me. I am not felling cool anymore. he my blanket. all my question to him he can answer to me. so I love his love to me.

We left Siem Reap, the next day. We arrived on Wednesday, June 18.  We all went to the Best Center, where the baptistry had been prepared.  That night, Satan lost one.  The Lord gained a sweet soul, a new soldier for Christ.  She always has a smile on her face, but it is MUCH bigger, these days.
It is working, according to God’s plan!  Quoting the philosophy of the A-Team, “I love it when a plan comes together!”  

She has the Father who will care for her, the Messiah who will save her, and the Spirit who will guide her. She has already been teaching the young children in Prek Kdam, a village made up entirely of Buddhists and Muslims.  People know her and love her.  We know they will see her love of the Lord. 

The light of God’s love is alive and well in Prek Kdam. 

Dear Lord, please continue to bless her, in her walk with you.  Give her the strength to stand up to Satan’s attacks.  I know he wants her.  May she keep her eyes set on the cross.  Bless the people of Prek Kdam and Koh Chen.  May they be willing to see and hear your message displayed in her life.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment