Saturday, May 14, 2011

dirty, stinky feet

I worked with a fellow who didn’t like to see feet. He preferred the ladies in the office to not wear sandals or open-toed shoes. If we were on a retreat, he certainly didn’t care for me wearing flip-flops. Honestly, I never really understood. I have always supposed feet are feet. The look the way God intended. Not good. Not bad. Just feet.

Since arriving in Cambodia, I have seen a lot of feet. I must admit, living in an environment where flip-flops are likely “as good as it gets” is not a good thing for foot appearance. When you travel by foot or motorbike, on roads of dirt or mud, your feet show it. Feet and faces don’t match – harsh treatment ages feet, but smiles stay young.

Today, I was working triage, on the ship. During a lull, I sat down to cool off. I spent time looking at everyone and sharing smiles. Then, I moved to the feet. I surveyed the feet of our patients. A pedicurist would have loved the challenge that was being presented. I was quite amused with myself, as I thought about pitching the idea of “Cambodia’s Next Top Pedicurist” to the creative staff at Fox.

My amusement faded as I thought about a group of sandal-wearing men, traveling by foot, on dusty, dirty, and muddy roads. They left Bethany, traveling to Jerusalem. It was nearly time for the Passover Feast. As the group ate dinner, the Teacher stood. He took off his outer garment, picked up a towel, and tied it around his waist. I don’t know that the other men even noticed. Next, the Teacher poured water into a bowl. It was then that the fun began. The Teacher approached the first man, and washed his feet. Then, the next. The next. And, so on.

There was some discussion, and some protesting, but the Teacher washed the feet of all twelve men. Once the last toe was dried, the Teacher stood, put on his outer garment, and returned to his seat at the table. I assume there were many stares at one another. No one was really sure what to say. Some were, no doubt, embarrassed. Some were confused. The Teacher was the first to speak, “Do you understand what I did for you? You call me ‘Teacher.’ And you call me ‘Lord.’ And this is right, because that is what I am. But I washed your feet. So you also should wash the other’s feet. I did this as an example for you. So you should serve each other just as I served you. “
I have read this passage from John 13 many times. I know, I know, we are to wash the feet of others. I get it. But my world had only given me examples of nice, pretty, easy to clean feet. Today, I really got it. I am not only responsible for the “clean” feet, but the really dirty ones, too. The ones with bad nails. The ones with sores. There were no qualifications, just “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, have you never heard of germs? “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, I just got an expensive manicure! “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, I am a prominent citizen. “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, I am only in high school. “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, I am far too old. “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

Lord, I have a family and responsibilities. “…you also should wash the other’s feet.”

And, so it goes.

Thank God for opening my eyes, today. Thank God for revealing his path. Thank God for dirty, stinky feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment