Friday, May 20, 2011

Sunday morning worship, village-style

Week three began, wonderfully. At the end of week two, Piseth asked if we would like to attend a local church, on Sunday morning. Of course, we would. We knew it would be all in Khmer, but we were enthused to be in an assembly of believers.

At 7:30 a.m., we left the ship and walked to the building. It was a nice, open-air building. As the five westerners and one Khmer walked up, people watched closely. I guess, they don’t gets many visitors. We were warmly welcomed, and shown to the small rough-hewn pews/benches.

Services were at 8 a.m., we thought. We arrived in the middle of Bible class. It turned out that the worship service began at 8:30. Debbie and I felt right at home, since the Simi Church begins early service at 8:30! We watched a young lady, as she taught the younger children. I have no idea what was taught, but her love and patience was shining.

When the service began, we sang a couple of Khmer hymns – nothing identifiable. I am confident they did not come from Great Songs of the Church or Sacred Selections. After the congregational singing, the children got up and sang a song they had worked on. Next, it was time for the older youth to sing for us. There were about 10 young people. It was great to see them at worship service, and even better to see them participating.

Following the youth, the older members shared a song. Of course, they asked the visitors to sing. Bill McDonough, Piseth, and I went up and sang a verse of Jesus Loves Me (in English). The minister preached about placing new wine in old wineskins. I knew this only because Piseth was translating for me! At the end of the service, a couple brought their small son forward to dedicate him to the Lord. The minister prayed for the baby, as well as that the parents and church would prepare and support him in his walk of faith. It was quite touching.

During the service, a sweet lady brought an electric fan to the front of the audience and turned it towards our group. After a few minutes, a “sweeter” lady moved the fan directly in front of us. It was MUCH needed. My nice light blue shirt was already a dark blue shirt. I kept thinking how happy I was that the service was no later than 8:30!! I had a big red bandana to wipe my face and head. I could have used a bath towel. Summers in southern California have not served me well, when it comes to tropical life. I am confident all of the humidity saved from California has been shipped to Cambodia.

Many of the members wanted to talk with us and learn more. The young people, who are excited about being able to use English with native speakers, were excited. I enjoyed talking with the father who had dedicated his son to the Lord. He shared their trials in having a child, and how they counted this young boy as a true gift from God.

I continue to be impressed with the joy in the hearts of the people. This small church came together to sing praises to God, and I know God was pleased. Once again, I am reminded how much I take for granted.

The adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment