Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Obligatory Food Post

Banana crepes. Our cook prepared banana crepes, for breakfast. Get this picture. We are sitting on a ship, tied up to the Mekong River bank, getting ready to eat breakfast. Our 25-year-old Khmer cook comes out and sets down a tray of the lightest, tastiest crepes I have ever had. Oh, and in case you don’t know, I don’t like bananas. Honestly, these bananas are different. I know that Sherry and Allison don’t believe me. They are both sweeter and tangier than typical U.S. bananas. After breakfast, I actually peeled and just ate a banana!

We are in the midst of mango season. We are near a ferry, and it is amazing to see the motorcycles and little trucks burdened to the point of collapse, stacked high with bags of mangoes being delivered to the market. These mangoes are so good. It is embarrassing the way Debbie and I “ooh” and “ahhhhhh” at every meal. There is nothing like getting the fruit at the source. The cook has not had to buy any mangoes. The people bring them, as thanks for the medical care they are receiving.

We have had wonderful western food, since arriving – pumpkin soup, fish and vegetables, beef stew, sugar-free brownie cake, omelets. Each meal is better than the last. The crew eats Khmer food. It looks and smells wonderful. I simply love Asian food; particularly Southeast Asian. I look longingly at their plates, each day. Yesterday, I had some of their soup. They were amused. It was Pho-like chicken. No noodles. And, it was made with banana flowers.

Needless to say, we are not suffering.

This journey guarantees to provide many new experiences – even bananas!

1 comment:

  1. I am still in shock and disbelief about these bananas! I guess you've moved to to dark side. :)

    I'm so glad that you guys are doing great and I love reading your blogs to keep up with you guys. We love you both so much and can't wait to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete